Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No Such Thing As 5 out of 5 in the 21st Century

Or ever in my case...

I discussed inner conflicts in my other blog "The Conscience of the Devil(?)". In my head, I was having a debate if whether I should eat a donut. The little angel was saying "No, don't eat it" and the devil was saying "Yes, eat it". If I should eat the donut or not is the inner conflict that was going on. Well, to relate to the topic of the title I am going to discuss the inner conflicts between ones artistic side and ones logical side. Let's make this a scenario. I am 24 years old living in New York. Going to school and majoring in Economics by day, inspiring musician by night. A friend, an artist, invites me to his art gallery's opening. Without thinking about it I agree on going. He informs me that he will be displaying a rare sculpture by Rowland Ward of "Sally" the Chimpanzee estimated to be worth around $90,000. Here is a picture of it.

Photobucket

I go to my shaggy apartment, put on a clean shirt, and make way to the art gallery. Upon arriving I see there is an open espresso bar. I am liking it already. My friend spots me and gives me a brochure of the art that is displayed. I am fascinated by the art by I just could not stop thinking about the utility and fix costs that my friend is having to pay for the location. Ignoring the thought I start walking around and noticing the displays. A little bit of abstract art here and there by college students, vulnerable marble sculptures on every corner, and a bit of sheekness with the wood floors. I notice people noticing a certain display. "It must be the chimpanzee sculpture" I tell myself. I go and take a look for myself. At first view my artistic side got first impressions. The care and precision that must have gone on in creating the sculpture could have only been done by the most creative hand. The rustic colors complemented the serenity and peacefulness that the sculpture gives. As soon as I knew it, my logical/anal side bumps in. The sculpture seems to be made of plaster. Being that it is not made of marble or some sort of stone its value must have gone down. And by the way, isn't this an art gallery? It did not say anywhere in the brochure "Sculpture Gallery" If I wanted to look at sculptures I could have just gone to the museum. I snap out of it and go home early, mainly because I wanted to make it in time for The Late Show with Conan O'Brien.

Personally, I have been going through this struggle for some time. The artistic side finding wrong in nothing while the logical/anal side criticizes everything. When it comes to reviewing a song, album, movie, t.v. show, restaurant, etc there is no such thing to a 5/5, 100/100, 5 Star, 2 Thumbs Up, etc. Even though you do see them around they are not true. Like in life, there is always something wrong with the factor. For example, I absolutely love The Office (as much of you already know). But there are times where the certain episode seems to be going very slow for me. Another example, I consider Daft Punk's Discovery one of my all time favorite albums. But there are still a couple of tracks I have skipped since I first listened to it. You can make something to be 5/5 but I promise you will find something wrong with it. To the littlest molecule. That is just life. But I do not really mind it. Conflicting between two opposite things makes ones self a more open-minded person. There is nothing wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment