Sunday, November 8, 2009

So, I've Realized...

How detached I've become with mainstream music. In today's society, if you're in the ages between 14-25, you base who you are with what you listen to. It's kind of like that quote, "You are what you eat". As I meet more and more people of that age group I've also noticed that 9 out of 10 of them are going to tell me music is their life. 8 out of 10 of them can name you the most popular song on the radio within 5 seconds, even if it's played backwards. I can't do that. I guess that is why I don't get invited to social events.

Anyways. To celebrate, let's talk about a non-commercial album that has come out recently.

BK One Pictures, Images and Photos

A Brazilian inspired album with guests such as Slug (from Atmosphere), Brother Ali, Murs, Blueprint, Raekwon, Scarface, Phonte (of Little Brother), and many more. What more can you ask for? The album opens with a skit that keeps going through the whole album, almost giving it a little theme, then followed with "Gititit" (all one word) featuring Brother Ali and Slug. It's a very party-full song with a lot of energy but still keeping it's musical elements, I can see why Bk-One put it as the second track. "The True & Living" featuring Raekwon and I Self Devine is first opened with the interlude "Caetano Veloso" which has a big-band feel to it. The climax of the interlude drops going into "The True & Living" making it truly a work of art. "Tema Do Canibal" featuring The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble is a instrumental song featuring, as we can already tell, a real brass section and no samples. It's always delightful to find a song of such nature in a Hip-Hop album. "Philly Boy" featuring Black Thought (of The Roots) is definitely my favorite track on this album. The lyrical essence is met because non-other than Black Thought is in charge, but; the musical essence is most definitely at the pulp of greatness. The sample that it has going on is going to be a sample I'm going to be looking for, for ages. It's just delightful. "Blue Balls" featuring Blueprint is a song a Blueprint/Soul Position fans, such as myself, will greatly enjoy. Overall, in my mind this album is categorized under the "A Breath of Fresh Air" mental file. No 808's, no AutoTone, no silly melodies, just real hip-hop.
4.5/5

"Gititit" feat. Brother Ali and Slug


"Philly Boy" feat. Black Thought


Recently, I've been trolling around the world famous collegehumor.com. I got to say, they have some awfully funny stuff in there. Such as the "Social Hierarchy Org Charts Through The Years":









The funniest things in life are true, this is the most funniest chart I've ever seen in my life.

This has been the first blog in a long time and it has helped me realize why I use to like blogging - because it's something to do.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment